Setting up and using folders
How do I create a folder?
- Click the * + * button at the bottom of the folder list. 2 Enter the name of the new folder.
- Select the parent for the new folder from the dropdown. By default, it will have no parent and live at the same level as your Inbox.
- Click Create Folder.
If you'd like to edit this (or any other) folder, click on the Edit button at the bototm of the folder list. This will bring up the Settings → Folders screen. Find which folder you'd like to edit, and click Edit on the right hand side. Here, you can choose the visibility for this folder. By default, the folder will appear in your folder list all the time, but you can opt to selectively hide the folder. On this screen you can also rename the folder, share it with other users in your account, set it as a spam learning folder, set up auto-purge, and more. Click the "Save" button at the top of the screen after making edits.
How do I view folders in my mailbox?
Folders appear to the left side of the mailbox. There are a few folders that appear by default, and these can not be edited. You can create as many or as few folders as you like, nest folders into subfolders, or create folders based on search criteria.
If you do not see the folder list, you should see a hide/show button in the top-left of the page. Click the button to show the folder list. To set the window so the folder list always shows, go to the Settings → General Preferences screen and ensure one of the "Show Sidebar" options is selected.
- Sort priority - Lets you manually control the ordering of your folders in the folder list. Alternatively you can drag and drop in the folder list directly.
- Default identity - Set the account identity to use when composing new messages in this folder.
- Spam learning - If enabled, Fastmail will learn messages in this folder as spam, or not spam, according to the setting.
- Auto-purge - Automatically delete old messages, where
oldmeans anything from 1 day to 1 year. Pinned messages are safe. Optionally only delete messages that have been flagged as deleted via IMAP.
- Duplicates - For a variety of reasons, occasionally duplicate copies of an email can arrive in an Inbox. This setting automatically removes the extra copies.
Caution: Auto-Purge removes mail according to the time it first arrived in your account, and not according to the time you moved it the auto-purging folder. This means if you have your folder set to auto-purge after 30 days, and you delete a message two months after it arrives, it will be purged straight away, not in another 30 days time.
How do I manage my folder list?
You can drag and drop folders around in the list to reorder them. Or, drag a folder on top of another folder to nest them.
How do I create a folder from a common search?
Fastmail allows you to save your common searches for quick access in the folder list. To do this:
- Search for something using the search bar on the top of the page.
- Press Enter. The mailbox shows you messages matching your search query.
- In the folder list, click the Save button next to your search results. A naming box appears.
- Name your search and press the Save button. The search now appears as a folder in the folder list.
Please note, saved searches are only visible in the web interface. It is not possible to access them through external (IMAP) clients, such as Outlook, Mac Mail, etc.
When setting up your search query, you can also specify a number of advanced search options, such as limiting by a date or a particular subject. These can be used to form a more complicated search folder.
What do system folders do?
System folders are ones created by Fastmail's mail server. Each has a special purpose, which is why they can't be deleted, moved, or renamed.
- Inbox : Where all your incoming mail is stored (unless you've redirected it elsewhere using a rule).
- Archive : Place mail here using the Archive button in the mail screen. This folder has no additional functionality other than a handy storage place for mail you want to keep, but not see in your inbox. Mail placed in this folder is automatically marked as read. You may wish to set the folder to Auto-Purge, so that old mail is automatically deleted from this folder.
- Drafts : Mail that has started to be composed but has not yet been sent is automatically saved into this folder, ready for you to complete whenever you'd like.
- Sent : A copy of all mail sent by you is saved to this folder.
- Spam : Mail that Fastmail detects as spam is automatically saved to this folder and marked as read. If you're missing mail that has been sent to you, check in here first. You may wish to set the folder to Auto-Purge, so that old mail is automatically deleted from this folder.
- Trash : Mail that you delete is sent to the Trash folder. Undeleting mail from this folder places it back where it came from, if you deleted it by accident. You can manually delete mail permanently from this folder.
Caution: Setting Auto-Purge on the Trash or Spam folders may result in unexpected behaviour. The mail is purged according to the time it arrived in your account, and not according to the time you marked it as spam/deleted it. This means if you have your folder set to auto-purge after 30 days, and you delete a message two months after it arrives, it will be purged straight away, not in another 30 days time.